Time: 30-40 minutes
This is a tasty change up from your basic Spaghetti night. A splatter screen is highly recommended!
1/2 lb bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or finely grated
2 Tbs double concentrated tomato paste
1 Tbs flour
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup 1/2 & 1/2 or milk, warmed
1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced into strips
1/4-1/2 tsp salt
1/8-1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup Romano cheese
1/2 lb cooked spaghetti
1. In a large pan, over medium high heat, brown 1/2 lb diced bacon. Remove cooked bacon & set aside, leaving about 2/3 of the bacon grease in the pan and dispose of remainder.
2. Place diced onion & carrot in hot bacon grease, stirring occasionally, until onions are cooked through. Add garlic when onion is almost cooked.
3. Mix in 2 Tbs double concentrated tomato paste (or 4 Tbs regular canned tomato paste). Allow to cook out for about a minute.
4. Sprinkle in 1 Tbs of flour, stirring with a whisk, allowing flour to cook about 2 minutes.
5. Lower heat to medium. Slowly whisk in tomato sauce, then warmed milk, and salt & pepper. Allow sauce to thicken, about 3-5 minutes.
6. Mix in basil, then melt in cheese.
7. Add in reserved bacon and cook for about 2 more minutes.
Serve over spaghetti and enjoy!