It was really easy to make homemade taco seasoning with just the spices in my cabinet. No packet required! This is an all dried spices recipe, but you can still check out my taco seasoning recipe made with fresh jalapeno, tomato and onion!
Add cayenne pepper to give your taco seasoning a kick! I like to use broth or stock in place of water for extra flavor.
This will make enough seasoning for several nights of tacos.
1 Tablespoon ground coriander
2 Tablespoons ground cumin
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
3 Tablespoon dried onion
30-40 grinds from a pepper grinder
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Mix ingredient together in a bowl. Use as you would any packet of taco seasoning:
- Brown 1 pound of meat (beef, chicken, whatever you like). Allow it to develop a nice sear after it has cooked completely.
- Drain away excess fat or grease.
- Add 2-3 Tablespoons taco seasoning and 1 1/2 cups water.
- Bring to a rapid boil over medium high heat. When boiling, lower heat to medium low.
- Stir occasionally until liquid has boiled away.
Store excess seasoning in an airtight container for your next taco night.