This simple and amazingly delicious soup incorporates roasted cauliflower, roasted carrots, roasted garlic and homemade vegetable stock.
To make your own vegetable stock, fill a pot with about 50 ounces of water. Clean and cut 2-3 large carrots, 2-3 ribs of celery, 1/4 of a large onion, then add to pot with 2 teaspoons of whole peppercorns and 2 teaspoons kosher salt. Boil just until carrots are tender. Strain off solids and you’ve made your own homemade vegetable stock. You can use all sorts of veggies in this, whatever flavor profile your soup desires!
2 heads cauliflower
6-8 medium carrots
1/2 medium onion, diced
10 large garlic cloves
About 50 oz vegetable stock
Optional: 1/4 cup heavy cream, heated (you can skip this and keep it vegan, still a delicious soup)
- Pre-heat oven to 425.
- Peel and cut carrots into small pieces. Place on a roasting pan with garlic cloves.
- Cut florets from cauliflower into small pieces. Also cut some of the stalk that is close to the florets. Place on a separate roasting pan.
- Drizzle both pans with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, just enough to lightly coat the vegetables. Sprinkle sparingly with salt and pepper. Toss. Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes until veggies are tender and have a bit of nice brown caramelization. The carrots and garlic with take a few minutes longer than the cauliflower.
- Sauté the diced onion on the stove top with a bit of olive oil until they begin to brown.
- In a blender, add the onion, garlic, half of the carrots and half of the cauliflower (reserve half of the carrots and cauliflower to mix in at the end). Add vegetable stock and cover about 2/3 of the veggies. Puree, adding more stock if needed, until a nice creamy consistency is reached.
- Heat heavy cream until hot (about 30 seconds in the microwave). Add to the vegetable soup mixture in the blender and puree again.
- Add blended soup and remaining veggies together in a large pot. Warm soup, if desired, over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.