The best mozzarella sticks are the ones you make at home! You can use string cheese or cut up chunks of mozzarella cheese. They’re slow to prep (lots of wait time in the freezer) but they fry up in about 90 seconds!
6 pieces of string cheese, unwrapped, cut in half
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs, plain
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
High heat oil for frying (I like Mazola corn oil)
1. Cut 6 pieces of string cheese in half, then dust with flour in a bowl (set aside leftover flour). Place onto a plate lined with plastic wrap. Freeze for 20-30 minutes.
2. Crack eggs into a bowl and scramble well with a fork.
3. Place remaining dry ingredients into the same bowl as the leftover flour. Mix well with a fork.
4. Remove cheese from freezer. Dredge into eggs, then panko mixture. Return to plate.
5. Place covered cheese sticks into the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Leave in freezer until your oil is ready for frying.
6. Put two inches of oil into the bottom of pan or pot suitable for frying (heavy bottomed). Heat oil to 375.
7. Fry cheese in batches, careful not to crowd the pan. Don’t walk away. Flip after 45 seconds. These will be ready in 60-90 seconds.
8. Remove mozzarella sticks to colander lined with paper towels. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.