A recipe for homemade microwave popcorn – yes, really! All you need is a paper lunch bag and 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels (oil is NOT required)! And a microwave, of course.
Cheaper, healthier & more environmentally friendly than manufactured microwave popcorn – no trans-fats and no unnecessary packaging! I have to give credit to The Rachael Ray show for this; a guest talked about this on her show. I really didn’t believe it until I made it myself!
Homemade Microwave Popcorn
1. Place 1/4 cup popcorn kernels in a plain paper lunch bag.
2. Add 2-3 drops of vegetable oil (yes, drops). Shake bag. This step is optional.
3. Fold over the top of the bag, about 1/2 inch, and then fold it again.
4. Place the bag fold side down in your microwave.
5. Turn your microwave on full power for 3 minutes. Stay close by. When the popping slows to 2-3 seconds apart, stop the microwave. This only took 1:50 in my microwave.
Popcorn has recently been hailed as a super food and quite possibly the perfect snack. Read more at http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/popcorn-contains-more-antioxidants-fruits-vegetables-super-snack-205100980.html
This is easy for the kids to make after school, too! No muss. No fuss. No mess. Let them have some fun and sprinkle different toppings into their popcorn after they’ve popped it themselves.
I hope everyone has a spectacular Friday and wonderful weekend. I’ll be waiting on the rain to clear so I can weed my garden beds (again) and get some seedlings in the ground!
Do you know what’s in microwave popcorn? You do now!